I have supported proposals that would bolster funding for the VA, provide job and educational opportunities for veterans, and provide support to Gold Star families. Specifically I have:
- Championed benefits for Gold Star Families: I introduced H.R. 3221, the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Improvement Act. This bipartisan bill would increase DIC benefits for surviving military families by approximately $300 per month.
- Ensured women veterans have access to the health care they need: I cosponsored the Deborah Sampson Act, which requires the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to ensure gender-specific services are continuously available at every VA medical center and community-based outpatient clinic.
- Supported the repeal of the Widow’s Tax: I cosponsored legislation to repeal the “widow’s tax” on surviving military family benefit payments.
- Advocated for resources to veterans during the COVID-19 pandemic: I Cosponsored legislation to ensure that National Guard service members deployed during COVID-19 pandemic are provided with benefits like access to early retirement and post-9/11 GI bill benefits.
- Introduced two pieces of legislation to strengthen mental health care for veterans. The bills – the bipartisan VA Mental Health Staffing Act and the VA Mental Health Counseling Act – would ensure Connecticut veterans can access the mental health care and resources they need.
No less importantly, I have helped the veterans in my district with their issues navigating the Department of Veterans Affairs and other federal agencies in order to access benefits, medals, and more.